Product: Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein
My Rating: 9.5 out of 10
In one of my previous articles, “How to Get Fit at 40 – The Best Tips for Busy Dads,” I wrote about one of my preferred supplements: protein. As a man who wants the best for his body and for the recovery process after a workout, I definitely recommend taking a good protein supplement.
Throughout the years during which I’ve taken protein powder supplements, I’ve tried a few of them. In the end, I always come back to the tastiest one, which is also the one I feel creates the best results for my body. That is Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein from Optimum Nutrition.
Let me share with you one thing about my breakfast.
Like you, I’m a busy dad with little time to make elaborate breakfasts. I need something healthy and quick to prepare. For that, I usually use my Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein:
- Mixed with oats and cinnamon for a great, healthy, tasty oatmeal.
- Overnight oats with Greek yogurt, cinnamon, chia seeds, and some almond milk.
You can make great meals with a protein powder supplement, beyond mixing it with water and drinking it.
Below, I’ll share my personal experience with this supplement: What is 100% Whey? What are its advantages and disadvantages? What’s included in the package?
I’ll also give you my final verdict.
What is Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein?
Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein is a protein powder supplement created by Optimum Nutrition, Inc. (ON). It’s the world’s best-selling whey protein, distributed in more than 70 countries.
In 2017, it was named “Protein Powder of the Year” by Bodybuilding.com. In addition, Optimum Nutrition was named “Brand of the Year”. See the award winners here.
It was also named “Best Protein Powder” in the Men’s Health Magazine (UK) Sports Nutrition Awards 2018. See the article here.
Its main ingredient is whey protein isolate (WPI). WPI is the purest form of whey protein in existence.
Another essential ingredient is whey protein concentrate (WPC). In addition to other factors, the combination of these two types of protein means that each serving contains 24 grams of protein. This is a significant amount of protein in one scoop of powder.
As a powder, you can consume it with…whatever you want! Yes, with almost anything!
In 2017, the formula underwent some changes. Some people did not like this.
In my honest opinion, I did not notice any difference in the taste or in the powder’s effect on my body.
- Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein provides you with pure protein that is:
- Very low in fat, lactose, and cholesterol.
- A very good value for the money in comparison to other products on the market.
- The flavor is absolutely amazing. Out of all the protein powders I’ve tried, Gold Standard 100%Whey Protein is by far #1 in tastiness. A little tip:
- Add fresh or frozen fruits, some peanut butter, and some milk. Stir together and you will have a delicious, highly nutritive shake.
- As I said before, a protein powder is not just for drinking. Because this protein powder dissolves very easily and quickly, you can create great, healthy desserts: cakes, pancakes, brownies, muffins … just use your imagination.
- Optimum Nutrition calls it “Spoon Stirred” meaning that you don’t have to use a regular shaker to mix your protein with any kind of drink. You can use a simple spoon to mix it by stirring for about 20 seconds.
- As a powder supplement, it’s easier to overdose on.
- As a protein milk-based product, it has lactose. Therefore, anyone who is lactose-intolerant and milk-allergic cannot consume this kind of protein. Instead, I recommend that you go for a vegetarian protein.
- High-protein supplements may give you the feeling of stomach bloating and sometimes constipation. I have experienced both, but it was only for a few days and it was nothing to worry about.
- Although I didn’t notice any difference in the taste or in the results for my body, I’m going to respect other opinions and consider the formula change in 2017 to be a disadvantage.
What’s the Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein “Recipe”
- A blend of the three major forms of whey protein:
- Whey protein isolate (WPI) as the main ingredient – 100% pure protein
- Whey concentrate – the cheapest and most common form of whey protein, a byproduct of cheese production
- Whey hydrolyzed isolate – the whey that the gut absorbs the fastest
- Over 5 grams of the naturally occurring Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs) Leucine, Isoleucine, and Valine in every serving.
- 24 grams of protein.
- Only 1 gram of fat.
- Only 3 grams of carbs.
- Contains over 4 grams of Glutamine – an amino acid used in the biosynthesis of proteins.
How Much Protein Do I Need?
The amount of protein you must consume per serving depends on several factors, such as your body mass, training status, and activity level.
To ensure maximal absorption, I recommend that you consume protein throughout the day in relatively small but frequent portions of around 20 grams per meal/snack instead of consuming large amounts.
As a busy dad, I see you in one of two activity categories: Sedentary / low activity or Regular activity.
If you are in the first category, you should consume 0.4 gram of protein per pound of body weight.
If you are in the second category, you should consume between 0.6 – 0.8 gram of protein per pound of body weight.
If you are doing frequent high-intensity training and are dieting to lose fat (i.e., restricting calories), you may need more protein, between 1.0 – 1.2 grams per pound of body weight.
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein is the world’s best-selling whey protein.
The company (ON) was created over 30 years ago and has vast experience in the supplements market. It is also a consolidated brand with a large share of the market.
I really believe in some supplements, and protein powder is one I’ve been taking for a lifetime. I’ve experienced great results with it.
I give this supplement, Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein, a big thumbs up. Highly recommended.
I hope you enjoyed this review. If you have any questions about Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein or want to give your own personal review, leave a comment below.